“When all your muscles are properly developed you will, as a matter of course, perform your work with minimum effort and maximum pleasure”.
Karen is a fully qualified and certified comprehensive Pilates instructor of all exercises on the original Pilates equipment and mat by Balanced Body University® (www.Pilates.com) and the Body Control Pilates Association (http://www.bodycontrolpilates.com), and in the classical mat with Contrology Pilates Method (www.spatialmedicine-cpm.com). Clients are often referred to Karen by local physiotherapists and osteopaths for rehabilitation work after injuries or illness.
Karen originally began Pilates on the recommendation of a women’s physiotherapist after pelvic floor and lower back issues following the birth of her third child. Pilates delivered a full recovery and remains central to her physical well-being.
She has been practising Pilates personally for over 12 years and teaching Pilates for 9 years. Karen is discerning and meticulous in her practice of, and training in, Pilates. She seeks excellence in all her teaching and training, and works tirelessly to achieve the highest standards for her own body and her clients.
In addition to family and dog, and furthering her knowledge of the body and Pilates, she loves cycling and walking, mountains and sea. In 2012 she completed a 250 mile cycle ride in the Rift Valley, Kenya for women’s cancer charities, and in 2015 cycled 250 miles around Cuba.
Fully certified Comprehensive Studio Equipment Instructor in Mat, Reformer, Trapeze Table, Pilates Chair, Barrels – Balanced Body® University, Inc www.pilates.com
Fully certified Contrology Matwork Instructor and Post-grad Matwork – Contrology Pilates Method www.contrology-pilates-method.com
Fully insured | CRB Checked & cleared | St John’s Ambulance – Basic Life Support | Level 3 Fitness Instructor – Register of Exercise Professionals – www.exerciseregister.org
Other Training and Experience includes the following
- Thomas Myers’ Anatomy Trains – Myofascial Meridians – Anatomy Trains/Kinesis
- Cadaver Anatomy Lab & Lab-Applied Workshop for movement teachers – Rebecca Leone in conjunction with Keele University
- Lifelong Pilates with Mary Bowen (first generation student of Joseph Pilates) – A Studio Experience – CPM
- Classical Mat Workshop – Jay Grimes (first generation student of Joseph Pilates), Classical Pilates Convention
- Classical Mat Workshop – Lolita San Miguel – (first generation student of Joseph Pilates) Body Control Pilates
- Numerous classes with Ton Voogt and Michael Fritzke – who were trained by Romana Kryzanowska (first generation student of Joseph Pilates)
- Pilates for Bone Health/Osteoporosis – Body Control Pilates, Balanced Body® Inc
- Training the Upper Body – Balanced Body® Inc
- The Male Pelvis – Balanced Body® Inc
- Psoas – Clever Guy of the Pelvis and Optimum Shoulder Function – Body Control Pilates
- Pilates Reformer I and II, Cadillac and smaller equipment – (eg Swiss ball, resistance bands etc) – Body Control Pilates
- Pilates and Pregnancy I – Body Control Pilates
- Pilates Mat – beginner, intermediate, advanced, classical – Body Control, Balanced Body®, CPM
“The support and encouragement you give to me each week is beyond any thanks I can give you. I come away from each class full of admiration. You are the kind of teacher who is a shining example to all of us teachers. The teachers in your classes recognise what a first rate practitioner you are. It was my lucky day when you put your card through our door.”
"You restore my karma at the end of each frantic week."
“When I came to you first I’d pretty much lost enthusiasm for Pilates and felt very ‘stuck’. I now know how exciting and challenging it can be when it’s well taught and explained. I really feel like a different person and am confident that I can improve even more…”
Probably the most versatile piece of exercise equipment you will ever…read more
Do you breathe well, or do you “junk” breathe? Joseph Pilates famously said…read more
I’m often asked if I can recommend some simple, safe moves…read more